- This event has passed.
Another Story: Black People in Victorian Wigan and Leigh by Brian Joyce
Thursday, 27th October ,2022 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm£2.50
Brian Joyce is the author of several books on the history of the Medway Towns in Kent, including Black People in Medway 1655-1914. Since moving to the North West, he has co-authored Culcheth Characters, contributed to Past Forward magazine and spoken to numerous local organisations and societies. In this illustrated talk, Brian will start by examining some of the advantages and pitfalls of various sources for black History. He will then look at examples of historical black presence in Wigan borough including clergy and entertainers, as well as speakers in the anti-slavery campaign before the American Civil War. Most importantly, he will examine some of the borough’s black residents during the Victorian period.
- When? Thursday 27th October, 12-1pm
- Where? Museum of Wigan Life, Library Street, Wigan, WN1 1NU
- What is the cost? £2.50 includes tea or coffee
- Do I need to book? Yes, booking is essential
- How do I book? Ring 01942 828128 or email firstname.lastname@example.org